FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
November 15, 2010
MAYOR JENNINGS AND CITY OF ALBANY ANNOUNCE NEW CITIZEN ALERT PROGRAM
Albany, NY – Mayor Gerald D. Jennings today announced that the City of Albany has a new Emergency Alert System that will notify subscribers by email or text message when snow emergencies or roadway closures occur.
Through the New York State Office of Emergency Management and the NY-Alert website, anyone wishing to be notified when the City declares a snow emergency or when a road closure occurs can be immediately informed via email or text message. The service is free and all personal information is protected. If necessary, users can unsubscribe at anytime.
Signing up is very simple and the website is user friendly. Please follow these simple steps to activate the alert system:
1. Go to: www.nyalert.gov
2. On the left hand side of the home page click on “Sign up for NY-Alerts”
3. Click on the “Enroll” button
4. Add your contact information
5. A confirmation email will be sent to you with the next step
6. Choose your preference of email, text alerts, or both
7. Click on Geo Political Jurisdiction to enter your location
8. Enter Albany County and City of Albany
9. When you are prompted to choose what type of alert you want, please check “Transportation”
10. Then follow the directions to finish registration
Once you are registered you will begin to receive alerts as they occur.
“The City of Albany is pleased to partner with the New York State Office of Emergency Management to offer residents and visitors access to real-time emergency information and updates, “ said Mayor Jennings. “This service is yet another vehicle for providing critical information to ensure safety and well-being for all.”
For more information, please contact Detective James Miller of the Albany Police Department @ 462-8756.
***Media Advisory Attached***
Officer Janet Parker
Albany Police Department
Community Services Unit
536 Western Avenue
Albany, NY 12203
Office: (518) 458-5668
Fax: (518) 458-5662